Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday NY Times for 75 Cents; Robert B. Parker; Ricky Gervais joke of the day

You can't beat the Sunday NY Times for $0.75 on the Sony Ebook. Everything is there, almost (the Book Review w/o the Best Seller list), and I estimate it's the equal of a 300-350 page book. It's great for a lazy Sunday and train reading but unfortunate that the daily edition, also 75 cents, isn't available the night before. I don't have time to download it in the morning before I go to work and it's too late to read at night.

Robert B. Parker died last week. I'm a big fan and laughed when an early report noted that after he was found slumped over at his writing desk, "no foul play was suspected." Seemed like a tip of the hat to the writer of tough-guy detective yarns. R.I.P.

Ricky Gervais got off an oldie but goodie at the Golden Globes. Sipping from a beer which he nursed during the telecast, he said, "You know, I like a beer as much as the next man... ...unless that man is Mel Gibson. Come on out Mel!" After he waved him on, DUI Gibson did a few tasteless seconds of Foster Brooks.

No comments: